Buon Ma Thuot is around 360 km from Saigon. This question reminds me the times when I was a student at university in Saigon and I had to go back home for visiting my family during holidays.
- Airplane: using low cost air company
- Vietjet air & Jetstar airline: both of them have competitive prices from Saigon to Buon Ma Thuot. Sometimes the ticket price is quite low, especially in working days (50 -100 usd). The flight is 45 minutes from HCMC to BMT, it takes other 20 min to reach the city center by car. I often enjoyed the trip on the way home, since it passes by a rubber forest with a nice view, also nice are the trees in front of the entrance of the airport.
- Vietnam airline has higher price and higher quality
2. Bus/ sleeping bus: 8-10 hours
I often used this bus when I was a student as the ticket is quite cheap : 230 000 – 350 000 VND. The sleeping bus leaves night time (around 9-10pm) from HCMC and arrives early in the morning ( 6-7am).
- Ask the bus company if they can pick you up from near your home when you book the ticket.
- On the way, ask the bus driver if he can drop you at the place where you would like to stop or somewhere near your place with a address note on paper.
- To Lan Anh hostel : 232 Nguyen Cong Tru street
Dung Nghia bus / sleeping bus : ticket 230 000 VND
Office at Saigon: 51 Nguyễn Thái Bình, Tân Bình district
Phone: 08 22 363636
Office at BMT: 161 Hoàng Diệu, Thống Nhất street
Phone:05003 811 888
Thuan Phat Limousine: ticket 350 000VND
This bus is quite new brand with high quality and only 17 seats which make you feel more comfortable. They have 2 trips/ day at 9am or 9pm.